Eric Garner’s Family to discuss $5.9 Million Settlement with NYC

Eric Garner’s Family to discuss $5.9 Million Settlement with NYC

Family of Eric Garner, a black man who died after being placed in a hold by a white police officer, to discuss the $5.9 million settlement reached with the New York City (NYC).

The settlement was announced on Wednesday by Scott Stringer, New York City's comptroller, or chief financial officer. It has been said that garner’s family last October filed a claim, asking $75 million in damage from the city.

Stringer said in a statement that the agreement was in the best interest of all parties, and the city did not admit liability in Garner’s death.

Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters Monday night that he hoped that the settlement will bring some peace and finality to Garner’s family.

The settlement has come few days before the first anniversary of the 43-year-old Garner's death, which occurred when police officers attempted to arrest him on suspicion of selling untaxed loose cigarettes.

It has been said that the white police officers wrestled him to the ground after one of the officers, Daniel Pantaleo, who stood behind Garner put him in a chokehold, which is prohibited by the New York police department.

A cell phone video captured at the incident showed that Garner before losing consciousness 11 times said ‘I can't breathe’.

Garner's death was called a homicide by the city's medical examiner. But a grand jury declined to bring any charges against Pantaleo. So far a federal investigation is still ongoing into Garner's death case.

In another incident of last year, Michael Brown, 18, was shot dead after a confrontation with a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. Protestors asked to end racial bias among police officers. They even demanded that police officers should be held responsible for their actions.

Topics: 
New York: 
People: